Jona Whipple

Publication Date



Chicago-Kent College of Law has been located in the city of Chicago since its founding in 1888. The first location of the school was the Grand Pacific Hotel, located on Clark Street and Jackson Boulevard, in downtown Chicago. Classes for what was then known as the “Chicago Evening School of Law” began in January of 1888 and were held on the second floor in the Appellate Court rooms. In 1889, having outgrown the Grand Pacific Hotel, the Appellate Court was moved to the fourth floor of the Grand Opera House at 119-21 N. Clark Street. The law school underwent two name changes that year: first to “Chicago College of Law,” and then again to include “Law Department of Lake Forest University” upon its incorporation into Lake Forest. Classes were held at the new Appellate Court quarters at the Grand Opera House until 1890, when the school moved to the Athenaeum Building in the Loop, on Van Buren between Michigan and Wabash. The Athenaeum Building was the home of the law school from 1890-1912. During this time, the Chicago College of Law ceased its affiliation with Lake Forest University. In 1900, the Chicago College of Law and the Kent College of Law merged to form Chicago-Kent College of Law, and the Kent College, formerly located at 59 Clark Street, moved into the Athenaeum Building. In 1912, the Chicago-Kent College of Law moved into the Municipal Courts Building (also known as the Lake View Building) at 116 S. Michigan Avenue, where it remained until 1924. The next residence of the Law School was at 10-12 North Franklin Street from 1924-1976. In 1969, the Law School merged with Illinois Institute of Technology to form the IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law and become a campus of IIT, which was located at 3300 South Federal Street in Chicago. The school moved to 77 South Wacker Drive in 1976. In 1992, construction was completed on the new location, the Downtown Campus Building at 565 W. Adams Street.

Scope and Contents

Photographs are the bulk of the collection, with the majority existing for the years 1974-1980. Approximately .42 linear feet of information regarding the move to the Downtown Campus building are the bulk of paper material in the collection. The collection includes photographs and information on events related to new buildings, including the dedication of the building at 77 South Wacker and the groundbreaking of the Downtown Campus Building.

Included in

Legal Commons