The Chicago-Kent College of Law was founded in 1888 as “The Evening Law Class.” The first record of an anniversary celebration at Chicago-Kent was the 75th Anniversary, which took place in 1963, followed by the 80th in 1967, the Centennial in 1987, and the 125th Anniversary in 2013. Each anniversary was marked with celebratory events, dedications, and programs to commemorate the Law School’s history. Past school-wide celebrations at Chicago-Kent have included “Chicago-Kent Day,” declared in 1961 by Mayor Richard J. Daley, and the events of Dedication Year in 1992, when the Law School moved into the building at 565 W. Adams Street. Dedication Year events included the naming of the 10th floor reading room, the auditorium, and the courtroom at the new campus.
Scope and Contents
The 75th Anniversary subseries includes two scrapbooks with correspondence from celebration invitees in the legal community, as well as newspaper clippings regarding events. The 80th Anniversary subseries includes proclamations from Mayor Richard J. Daley and Governor Otto Kerner declaring a “Chicago-Kent Day” in the city. The Centennial subseries consists of planning and publicity documents, as well as historical information on faculty, staff, and the history of the school, collected for planning purposes. The Centennial planning file also includes flyer and planning documents for the First Annual Charles E. Green Lecture in Law and Technology. The 125th Anniversary subseries includes print media created for anniversary events. The Celebrations series contains similar files for “Chicago-Kent Day” in 1961 and Dedication Year 1992, including programming planning files, as well as event invitations and programs.
Related collection(s): Records of the Charles E. Green Lecture
Whipple, Jona, "Guide to AC023 - Collection of Anniversaries and Celebrations" (2014). Finding Aids. 22.