Records of the Library of International Relations, 1933-2002
The Library of International Relations was established in 1932 on the basis of documents provided by the League of Nations Association. The original LIR was hosted in a room provided by the John Crerar Library, staffed by Miss Eloise G. ReQua, founder and first director of the Library of International Relations. Miss ReQua’s intent was to encourage the study of international affairs.
During the 1934 and 1935 seasons of the World’s Fair, the Library maintained an exhibit known as the Story Cove on the Enchanted Island, a reading-room, library, and storytelling center. The Story Cove contained 1600 books in seventeen languages. The purpose of the collection was to give a wider international view of children’s literature than the average American child was likely to have. In 1983, the Library became a part of IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law Library. The items in the collection are now a part of the collection at the downtown campus location at 565 West Adams Street in Chicago. Beginning in 1954 and ending in 2001, the Library of International Relations hosted the annual Consular Ball, both to honor the city’s consular corps and to raise funds for the Library. In 1991, the Library became the first to develop an electronic imaging system, ELOISE, which allowed for instant access to rare materials for scholars worldwide.
Related collection(s): The Eloise G. ReQua Papers
Whipple, Jona, "Guide to AC001 - Records of the Library of International Relations" (2013). Finding Aids. 1.